Family Based Immigration

Family Based Immigration


%titleFamily based immigration exists between spouses, parents and children, brothers and sisters and same-sex couples.  The term “family based immigration” refers to people with familial relationship between those who are United States citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) and those who are present in the United States with or without legal immigrant status or those who are currently abroad.

Here you will find some useful information on how you (a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident, a.k.a. “green card holder”) can bring your loved one to the United States through the process of filing a Petition for Alien Relative and Adjustment of Status or through Consular Processing.  Our experienced Immigration Attorneys with offices conveniently located on the Central New Jersey are here to help you achieve your dreams, be it becoming a United States citizen or bringing your loved one to the United States.

Remember, as a Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder) or a United States Citizen, you can file a Petition for Alien Relative for certain family members who will then be able to receive either a  Lawful Permanent Resident Status (also known as Green Card), fiancée visa or other family visa (K-3/K-4) based on your familial relationship.

If you or someone you know does not have a legal immigration status, we are here to help you through the process of legalization.  United States immigration law recognizes two categories of familial relationship.  These categories are – “immediate relative” and a “preference category”.  Preference category includes five different subcategories.  Before discussing preference category, we will review the immediate relative category.

The “immediate relative” category includes spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age of the United States citizens.  The primary advantage of your relative being in an “immediate relative” category is that there is no substantial waiting time for such person to immigrate or apply for adjustment of status in the United States.  The reason why there is no substantial waiting period is because there is not no limited quota for the number of immediate relative visas that can be allocated on any given year.  Every year, the government of the United States allocates certain number of visas for each family and employment based visa categories.

There are at least five different preference categories through which one can file for his or her spouse, children, and siblings.  Those categories are:

(F1) Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens who are over 21 years old;

(F2A) Spouses and Unmarried Children under 21 years old of Permanent Residents;

(F2B) Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents;

(f3) Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens; and

(F4) Brothers and Sisters of Adult U.S. Citizens.

If you have questions regarding family based immigration, contact a Woodbridge, New Jersey Immigration Attorney.  Our immigration attorneys possess the necessary skills to assist you with all your immigration needs. Out offices are conveniently located in the Central New Jersey, next to the Woodbridge Train Station.  Call (732) 596-1235 today and schedule an in-person consultation.

Immigration Questions?

Email us.

  • Your Name(*)
  • Your Email(*)
  • Subject
  • Message