The immigration laws of the United States of America provide for various types of visas for foreign citizens.  Before traveling to the U.S., a citizen of a foreign country must generally obtain a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence.  The type of visa you will need is based on the purpose of your travel.  A foreign citizen may enter the United States as a visitor for pleasure to visit his family, friends or simply tour the United States.  A person may also enter the United States to study in various educational institutions across the United States.  The United States immigration laws also provide for visas that are issued to those individuals, who enter the United States to work as seasonal, skilled or professional workers on temporary basis.  Some foreigners do not require a visa to enter the United States.

The requirement to have a valid visa to enter the United States may be waiver for those individuals, who are citizens of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program.  There are currently 37 countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program.  The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of participating countries to travel to the United States without a visa for stays of 90 days or less, when they meet all requirements. Travelers must be eligible to use the VWP and have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel. If you are eligible to travel on the VWP, but prefer to have a visa in your passport, you may still apply for a visitor (B) visa.  The above mentioned examples describe situations where a person may apply and receive a non-immigrant visa.

The immigration laws of the United States also provide for immigrant visas.  Those visas may be issued after the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service approves employment or family based petition filed by the United States employer, U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident.

You may contact our office for further information on what type of immigrant or non-immigrant visa you may qualify for.  Our office is conveniently located in the Central New Jersey.  Our New Jersey Immigration Attorneys possess the necessary skills and experience to assist you in your immigration matter.

Immigration Questions?

Email us!

  • Your Name(*)
  • Your Email(*)
  • Subject
  • Message